Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Why Heaven Will Not Be Boring

Sometimes I think about those random passages from the Anne of Green Gables series, where people timidly wonder if Heaven will be boring. Like one really long church service. I'm not saying that church services are boring. (Am I?)

And sometimes, I wonder if people- in real life- echo that sentiment.

I would like to challenge that sentiment.

I was recently reading The Last Battle from C. S. Lewis's Narnia series, and a certain passage struck me. Towards the end of the book, the Narnians and some people of this Earth realize that Heaven looks exactly like Narnia.

But Lucy says, " "[The geographies are] different. They have more colors on them and they look further away than I remembered and they're more... more... oh, I don't know..."

"More like the real thing," said Lord Digory softly. "

Heaven is going to be more like all of the pleasure and beauty and excitement and humor we've ever known on Earth.

After all, we are going to meet the Creator. The One who made beauty. All of the waterfalls and ruby sunsets and glittering stars and lush-velvet green groves we've ever known are only what we see through a glass darkly (1 Cor. 13:12 KJV).

And we're going to meet the One who IS creativity. I was recently at the Long Beach Aquarium, and- amid the thundering of hundreds of small children underfoot- realized that an aquarium is basically an animated, 3-D art museum. So much creativity and complex thought went into these creatures that range from ethereal to monstrous, delicate to gargantuan, sandpapery to hammerhead-shark-soft. (Yes, I did get to pet a baby hammerhead shark, and that kind of made my day.)

And we're going to meet the One who made excitement. He knows how to make our stomachs lurch during a rollercoaster ride or a scary movie; why would that excitement and creation of excitement stop once we get to the real thing- when we ascend to a higher dimension?

It's going to be like a rectangle drawn on a piece of paper that suddenly comes to the realization of 3-D buildings, and geometric elephants with volume, and the 3-D convoluted-ness of a rose.


That said, I don't spend a whole lot of my time being the Christian I want to be.
I don't spend as much time as I should reading my Bible or talking to God.

I don't spend as much time as I should thinking about Heaven.

But when I do, I find it hard to believe that it will be boring.









-------------------------------

Afterword

1.  Why won't Heaven be boring? Four words: The Book of Revelation

2. The final words of dying people- people who were on the cusp of The Other Side- have made it hard for me to believe that Heaven will be boring.

When Thomas Edison was dying, he supposedly said "It's very beautiful over there."

"Let us cross over the river, and rest in the shade of the trees." -Stonewall Jackson

Emily Dickinson- and this is so perfect- said, "I must go in, the fog is rising."

And of course, although this wasn't his last word, John's reaction to Jesus- the One that we'll be spending quite a while with in Heaven- in Revelation makes it hard to believe that Heaven will be boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment